Anyone else love a bowl of mac ’n cheese? We recently cooked up a dairy-free, creamy, butternut squash cheez recipe (inspired by @leefromamerica), and we have come to find that it makes for a beautiful cheez to your mac.
Whether you’re vegan, lactose-intolerant, or simply seeking a healthier version to your mac ’n cheese, we highly suggest you cook this up for dinner as soon as possible. This creamy vegan cheez is easy-peasy, and quite versatile!
Roasted Butternut Squash
1 butternut squash
olive oil (to taste)
cinnamon (to taste)
1/3 cup roasted butternut squash
1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews
2 TBSP olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
juice of 1/4 lemon
1.5 TBSP Engevita yeast flakes
1/4 cup water
cracked pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
- Cut butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out seeds.
- Drizzle inside of each half with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place butternut squash halves on baking sheet, face up, and place in oven for 40-45 minutes. Will be tender and a bit browned when ready.
- To make the cheez, combine all cheezy cheez ingredients into a blender.* We recommend using an immersion blender. Blend until all ingredients combined and result is creeeeeeeamy!
- Pour over your cooked pasta for vegan mac ’n cheez, use as a dip for your roasted veggies, or drizzle over tortilla chips for vegan nachos! Or how about all three?! You’ll have plenty of butternut squash for three cheezy meals!
*Use warm roasted butternut squash from the oven, or cold leftovers from the fridge.
Pop into our Dundee or St. Andrews shop for your ingredients list. We have a variety of pasta in stock, including gluten-free! Yes, you read it right. Vegan and gluten-free mac ’n cheez dreams are about to come true!
Eat well! <3